A series of graphics prepared by Mexico City daily El Universal includes a map showing the details of all the mining concessions in Mexico. According to the newspaper’s analysis, one fifth of Mexico’s total land area is subject to mining concessions belonging to one company or another.
The six companies holding the largest areas of concessions are:
- Altos Hornos de México (364 concessions totaling 3208 hectares)
- Fresnillo PLC (1009; 1953)
- Industrias Peñoles (922; 953)
- Minera Fresco (779; 889)
- Cascabel (116; 749)
- and Grupo México (711; 607).
The map is probably the single most interesting graphic in the series. Zooming in (top left of map) allows the details of each concession to be viewed, including the concession holder, size of concession, minerals involved and whether or not the concession is “active”. Is there a mining concession near you? You might be surprised. Even in an area of Mexico that I have known intimately for many years, there are two concessions that I have never previously heard of!
- The geography of gold mining in Mexico
- Plan for open-pit gold mine in Baja California Sur rejected
- Goldcorp’s Los Filos mine in Guerrero: mega-mine or mega-disaster?
- The geography of silver mining in Mexico
- Fresnillo, Mexico’s leading silver mining town
- Copper products, exports and handicrafts in Mexico
- Re-opening the giant El Boleo copper mine in Santa Rosalía, BCS
- Cananea in Sonora: one of the largest open-pit copper mines in the world
- Toxic spill in Sonora copper mine causes environmental disaster
- The Huichol (Wixárika) People’s fight against multinational mining companies
- The reviving fortunes of the mining town of Bolaños in northern Jalisco
Advertisement:Join us at CommonStockWarrants.com for the only listing and details on all stock warrants trading in the United States and Canada. All industries and sectors are represented and many opportunites for investors. Don’t overlook this unique opportunity. Visit our website now.